Thursday 10 May 2012

Alabama Shakes

A couple of friends alerted me last week to The Alabama Shakes, a newish band hailing from Athens, Alabama. Luckily I caught them that night on a recording of 'Later...With Jools'. I say newish because the four piece outfit have just released their debut album 'Boys & Girls' but Brittany Howard (vocals, guitar), Zac Cockrell (bass), Steve Johnson (drums) and Heath Fogg (guitar) have actually been performing together since 2009.

I have now listened to the album a few times and I can't recall the last time I was so impressed with a debut album. They are clearly a very tight unit but what sets them apart is undoubtedly the voice of 22 year old Brittany Howard. Veering between the blues shout of Janis Joplin and the soulfulness of Aretha Franklin there are also shades of Amy Winehouse, Tina Turner and Etta James. For such a young person, Brittany clearly has conviction in her voice. When on the album opener 'Hold On', she sings 'Bless my heart, bless my soul. Didn't think I'd make it to 22 years old', you really believe her.

Until November last year she was working as a postwoman but then the band began to catch the attention of some of the big names in the business, Robert Plant and Jack White to name but two. Her letter delivering days were over and the band appear to be destined for great things as the album is now sitting high in the charts.

I am certainly enjoying the album and after their performance on 'Later', I can't wait to catch them live.

No comments:

Post a Comment