Monday 26 November 2012

Box Sets #4 - Family: Once Upon A Time




Described as the 'Ultimate Family Box Set', this package has been promised for some time now and is set to coincide with the reunion of Family, forty years after they last performed together in 1973. To say that I was excited about this, is probably something of an understatement. I wasted no time in obtaining my ticket for the live show at Shepherd's Bush Empire on 2nd February next year. Billed at the time as 'One Night Only', it appears that demand was so high that a second night was added. The only problem is that the second night actually precedes the first night, as it is to be held on 1st February. Consequently it seems that I will not see Family play for the first time in forty years! Oh well, what's one night when I've waited all this time.

And so to the box set itself. The details have just been released and the set is now available to pre-order. Here is the detailed description of what is included:
* 14 Disc set strictly limited to 2,000 numbered copies
* 72 page hardback book tracing the history of Family featuring many previously unseen photos & memorabilia reproductions
* 8 Original Albums in mini LP Japanese Style gate fold sleeves (6 re-mastered from recently discovered master tapes)
* 2 CDs of previously unreleased alternative versions and rarities
* 3 CD singles reproduced in original picture sleeves
* Live Disc capturing the band on the Fearless tour in 1971
* Numbered Certificate of Authenticity signed by Roger Chapman
* Recreation of a contemporary music weekly featuring historic articles spanning the band's career.


As I took in the details of what's available in the set, I felt my excitement ebbing away. Of the fourteen discs, eight of them are the official Family albums released between 1968 and 1973, which I already own. Granted some have an additional bonus track but then most of my CD copies have several bonus tracks, such as singles, B-sides and live versions. One of the CDs is a live concert dating from 1971 which was originally released in 2003 and which I already own. Three of the remainder are CD singles two of which date from the 'It's Only a Movie' era, my least favourite period. Then finally we come to the last two CDs which contain alternate versions and outtakes. These feature several versions of songs, many of which are instrumental or guide tracks. So for my hard earned £125 (plus postage & packing) I would get a load of stuff I already have plus two discs of unexciting outtakes, a 72 page hard back book and a certificate signed by Roger Chapman. Oh yes, of course I would also be the proud owner of a set limited to 2,000 numbered copies. I think not!

Several years ago I felt similar excitement when 'Old Songs, New Songs' was released as a box set (this will be a theme of a future post). At that time the actual album was not available on CD and it was promised that it would only be available as part of this box set. Not so! The CD version of the original album is now available separately.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no regrets about purchasing the box set as it features some great material unavailable elsewhere. If my memory serves me well I paid about £30 for a five CD set (I was one of the lucky ones who got a bonus 5th CD) and I considered it good value for money.

I also own the three CD's which were issued a few years ago and feature almost all of the Family live BBC sessions between 1968 and 1973. Here we have versions of songs many of which were recorded for the BBC before they were fully developed and released on albums. Hence we have a totally different version of 'Holding the Compass', stunning live versions of 'Drowned in Wine', 'A Song For Me' and 'Wheels', which are far superior to the versions on 'A Song For Me', a live version of the J B Lenoir song 'I Sing 'um The Way I Feel' and Poli Palmer's showpiece, 'Here Comes The Grin'.

None of these appear in this latest 'ultimate Family box set'!

I suspect that this latest set will sell out easily and I feel a little sad that as such a huge fan of Family, I will not get to own one. However, times are hard and I have to consider value for money. I am still looking forward immensely to seeing them live and before I head down to London, I will be dusting off my old CDs and rocking to one of the most exciting and adventurous bands I have ever seen or heard.

If you are a Family fan and happen to stumble into this blog, I'd love to hear your views.
If you want to pre-order the set, you can do so here:  http://www.familyonceuponatime.com/

Keep on rocking.

2 comments:

  1. Michael. michael.grave@ntlworld.com18 February 2013 at 11:50

    Hi. Interesting article. What I'm REALLY interested in, now that Roger Chapman seems to be fuly involved with this boxset project, is which of the cd albums included is newly remastered? I've been waiting for a decent sounding copy on cd of the album 'Old Songs, New Songs' for years. Hopefully, this is one of those properly remastered from the ORIGINAL master tapes. Hoping to get your reply to this asap. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michael
      Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to get in touch. I am also curious to know which of the albums have been remastered. As you are probably aware, 'Bandstand' is one and I have written a post on that subject as that is now available separately. I suspect that the others may become available in due course.
      On the subject of 'Old Songs New Songs', I have written a separate post concerning that box set (http://eddie-graham.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/box-sets-5-family-old-songs-new-songs.html).
      I am also sending you a personal message by email on that subject.
      Best wishes
      Eddie

      Delete