Friday 19 September 2014

Hiss Golden Messenger - Lateness of Dancers

One of my absolute favourite albums from last year was 'Haw' by Hiss Golden Messenger and only 18 months later they have produced the follow up, 'Lateness of Dancers'.

The title also happens to be the name of a story by Eudora Welty, the American author who wrote several novels and short stories about the deep south. I suspect that the choice of title is no accident.

Hiss Golden Messenger is actually M.C.Taylor ably assisted by long time collaborators, William Tyler and Scott Hirsch plus on this occasion, Mountain Man singer Alexandra Sauser-Monnig.


The album has obvious similarities with it's predecessor yet has a more uplifting feel to it. A far more upbeat album both musically and I feel, lyrically. Besides the quality of the songs, the overall sound is very satisfying (especially on headphones) and I discover new parts each time I listen. For example the swirling organ on opening track, 'Lucia', the fuzzy distorted guitar on 'I'm a Raven (Shake Children) or the subtle picked banjo and strange electronic sounds that suddenly emerge in the chorus of the title track. Then of course there is the wonderful organ that plays out 'Mahogony Dread'. Like it's predecessor, this album is packed full of wonderful sounds and images. And I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment