Wednesday 3 September 2014

Opeth - Pale Communion

Although Opeth have been in existence since 1990, I confess that to the best of my knowledge I have heard nothing by them. Perhaps the fact that Wikipedia describes them as a a Swedish heavy metal band has something to do with that. I may have wide ranging tastes in music but aside from the first couple of Black Sabbath albums, I have managed to steer clear of heavy metal.

Nevertheless someone suggested I may enjoy the most recent Opeth album, 'Pale Communion' and when comparisons were made with Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree I felt compelled to give it a listen. I'm pleased that I did!


It just goes to show that one should not pay too much attention to the labels that critics and others are inclined to attach to artists these days. Far from being a heavy metal band, I detect in this album shades of prog-rock, folk, jazz, blues and what I suppose could be called, new age. But there I go with the labels again. 

I understand that front man Mikael Akerfeldt has toned down his usual death metal vocals for this album and they have been replaced by a mellower sound that would not be out of place on a folk-rock album particularly on parts of, 'Moon Above, Sun Below'. This one track features some blistering rock, sublime electric guitar, almost CSNY vocal harmonies and some even more sublime nylon strung guitar. It may be almost 11 minutes long but I never get bored listening to it.

Following the rather less successful instrumental, 'Goblin' the seven minute 'River' begins with a catchy melody featuring acoustic guitars and beautiful harmonies before the whole thing takes off in a wild race between electric organ and guitar. 

Even better is 'Voice of Treason' with its hypnotic riff, synthesised strings and driving drum patterns. Then to end the album come the lush, stately strings that take us into 'Faith in Others'. In it's beauty it reminds me of the closing title track to Steven Wilson's 'The Raven That Refused To Sing'. It is gorgeous and about as far removed from death-metal as one can get.

The new direction taken by Opeth over the past couple of albums may be causing some consternation among some of their long-standing fans as they yearn for the harsher death-metal sounds, but for one I am grateful for this change in focus. There's nothing wrong with a bit of very well done prog-rock. And after all, it's only a label you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment