Monday 1 September 2014

Royal Blood

After what has been in my view a slow and uninspiring year for new music, I am delighted to report that there are a glut of exciting new releases heading this way or already being played in the White Room.

The Brighton duo Royal Blood were recommended to me earlier in the year after they had developed something of a reputation for great live gigs. Despite only being formed in 2013, they have already played Glastonbury twice as well as Reading and the South By Southwest festival in Austin Texas. At the time of the recommendation they only had a four track EP for me to enjoy but thankfully they have now released their eponymous debut album.

Three of the tracks from the EP are now joined by a further seven originals and from the first notes of 'Out of the Black' one is struck by what a great sound these guys achieve with just guitar and drums. Obvious comparisons have been made with the Black Keys though to my ear the White Stripes would be a closer fit owing mainly to the Jack White-like vocals of Mike Kerr. Despite the limited instrumental input, the album is varied and interesting throughout its forty-odd minutes duration.

A very welcome injection of new blood (sorry, I couldn't resist) for my 2014 compilation though sadly I will miss them when they visit these parts in October as I am already booked to see Dave & Phil Alvin that night. Shame!





No comments:

Post a Comment